New Features in StoryBook Creator 4.0 Software
• New trial mode allows user to use all editing features of the application for 30 days (30 days free trial).
• User can now choose between Basic mode and Advanced mode. Basic mode introduces the user to the most common digital scrapbooking features. The user experiences the full features of the software when he or she progresses to the Advanced mode.
• Significant performance improvements in page editing, page saving and auto-populate.
• User can now select a page from another project (or current project) when changing the template of the current page, rather than being required to use only predesigned pages in kits.
• Retrieve photos from Facebook, Flickr and Picasa, and then share your creations back to Facebook, Flickr, Picasa. Get/Insert photo options all show a menu of photo source options
– My computer, Facebook, Flicker, Picasa.
• All open views are now accessible directly via a tab (e.g., welcome, content, plus one tab for each open project/page), eliminating need to go to a menu to switch views.
• New color picker dialog provides much faster access to colors the user is likely to use, as well as new advanced options for creating custom colors. The dialog has four tabs, each with a different method of selecting a color. The first tab provides quick access to the colors the user is most likely to use:
– Named color themes (includes the following sets of colors)
- Colors in selected image
- Colors on page
- Standard colors
- Skin colors
- Hair colors (Includes several new colors)
- Personal art kits (created by user) containing colors
- Recently used colors
– Sample color from screen (now includes a zoom view to show individual pixel being sampled)
–Hue, saturation and brightness
• User can now add, mix and rearrange frame effects to create a wide variety of custom effects.
• Create text shapes and cutters. User-entered text using any installed, supported font can now be added to the page as a shape or used as a cutter. For example, the user can bring up the text cutter pop-up, select a font, then enter text and cut out that text from any element on the page.
• Seven new spell-checker options provide user more control over spell checking. User dictionary available in spell checking so user can add his or her own words, names, terms and more to the spell-checking dictionary.
• Application now uses the standard Windows application frame, making various behaviours more standard.
• Support for new Windows 7 features like desktop docking and taskbar previews of each open project or page.
• The software will now run in 64-bit mode on 64-bit versions of Windows, not only enhancing performance but eliminating nearly all out of memory conditions on 64-bit Windows systems with enough memory.
• Application remembers last size and position rather than always starting maximized.
• Installation now requires only .NET 3.0 rather than .NET 3.5, which will significantly reduce the number of users requiring a download install of the .NET Framework, as bothVistaand Windows 7 include .NET 3.0 as part of the operating system.
• New “File” ribbon tab (like MS Office 2010) replaces the old start menu button.
– File menu always has recently used projects listed and available for opening.
• Contains all-new graphics and icons with a consistent color scheme.
• Removed the unused status bar area at bottom of the screen, providing more space for page editing.
• Easier-to-use startup view with just two options in the center of the welcome page –Create and Open – along with a list of recently used project icons at the bottom of the view. Part of this change includes the removal of the personalized preview on the welcome page.
• All custom file open dialogs (for project, pages, photos, kits, or any other type of file) have been replaced with the Windows common dialog boxes, meaning:
– The user interface for finding files will be exactly like that in other Windows applications for the user’s particular Windows platform. This is especially important because of the changes with Windows 7. It will provide a more familiar experience for any user, regardless of platform.
– Access to network resources will work exactly as with Windows, eliminating software support problems for scanning network drives and so on.
• Windows Explorer thumbnail support for kits, projects, pages and shapes. This means that when the user uses either the Windows common dialog box (in the software) or browses the disk using Windows Explorer, files used by and created by the software will show as thumbnails of the actual content in the file (if the user has Windows Explorer set to show thumbnail view).
• Drop-down lists now act more like Windows standard controls.
• New aggressive memory management option (in User Options) provides an alternate memory management profile for the software. When this option is turned on, the software will use significantly less memory, but will run somewhat slower due to swapping memory out to disk.
• New error handling to improve collection of data from users. The new exception dialog not only informs the user of the error, but includes a button “Send report to Creative Memories” so that the user can immediately upload to the server the technical report that contains information necessary for debugging the error. This will remove need for a CSR to ask the customer to find an old error log file and email it or to try to regenerate the error on a later day.
• Added numerous informational messages shown to user. These have a checkbox option that the user can check so that the message is no longer shown.
• Improved handling of copyrighted digital content. When user tries to save copyrighted content to the user’s disk, the prompt now requires the user to check a checkbox accepting responsibility and then click OK.
• Tutorials now a link to a landing page in Web browser from which tutorials can be viewed.
• More friendly and flexible project creation process.
– User interface uses numbered wizard steps to help user.
– Project types are now grouped in categories, allowing a much larger number of projects and helping the user find the desired project more easily.
• Custom page size management allows user to create, manage and re-use custom page sizes when creating projects. Custom size options include page dimensions, trim and resolution.
• Support for creating and saving single page files (.SBPAGE) without the need to create a project folder. Useful for single page projects like posters and cards and for creating page templates to re-use or share with others.
• Single pages (sbpage, jpg, png) can be resized, rotated or cropped.
• Support for Windows file registration means user can double-click a project or page file in Windows Explorer to automatically launch that project or page in StoryBook Creator 4.0 Software.
• Ability to save any page (even if in a project) as a new page, JPG, PNG, TIF or PDF file.
• Ability to export a selected set of pages from a project to a single multi-page PDF file (disabled in the 30-day trial version).
• Improved and more useful properties dialog for current page or project.
• Expanded local print capabilities including a wide range of page scaling and tiling options (disabled in the 30-day trial version).
• For book projects with a personalized cover, the user no longer needs to choose between Pages and Cover in the ribbon. The personalized cover is shown in the pages panel above the pages.
• Improved project/page properties dialog provides more useful information about the current project and page, and in an easier to read format.
• New pop-up option on pages panel allows user to immediately insert a blank page. Eliminates the extra step of showing the add page dialog.
• Software allows the user to automatically open the backup version of a saved file if the page file itself has been corrupted and cannot be opened.
• Coordinate Colors feature – select an element or photo and be provided with several color scheme options for changing the colors of the papers and embellishments on the page to look better with the element or photo.
• Change Background feature on Home ribbon allows quick way to fill background with color, gradient or paper.
• Auto color fix and Auto contrast fix have been replaced by a single new Auto fix option. The new option shows the user four previews using different combinations of auto-fix algorithms and parameters. To apply the fix, the user simply clicks the desired option.
– Common mat styles are shown in the mat pop-up so the user can quickly get the desired effect without having to adjust parameters manually.
– Mats now support negative relief shadows for non-rectangular mats.
• Five new image filters in the filter dialog: Palettize, Canny Edge, Show Edges, Blur, Despeckle.
• All cutters have new options that make the operation clearer to the user:
– User can keep shaded section, unshaded section, both sections
– User can choose to Copy or Cut. For example, this allows the user to cut something out of an element on the page while maintaining that element.
– Wand cutter has been simplified and improved by replacing the two individual sliders with a single threshold slider that controls how sensitive the wand is.
– Corner cutter has a new option: match aspect ratios.
• Insert shape (including text shapes) includes several new options:
– Four fill options: color, transparent (for outlined shapes), gradient or paper
– Outline (stroke) options: color, width, compound style, joint style, dash style and dash caps
– Flip shape (horizontally)
• Line format options (for individual lines, shape outlines and shape text outlines) now include: color, width, dash style, dash caps, compound line style and joint options.
• New gradient fill options.
– 24 predefined two-color patterns
– Straight gradient option with direction and color blend options (see below)
– Radial gradient option with scaling, aspect ratio, center position, and color blend options (see below)
– Rectangle gradient option with color blend options (see below)
– Color blend options available on three of the gradient types include:
- 5 preset blends, including rainbow
- Reverse colors option
- Smooth or linear blend options
- Fully customizable blend bar allowing user to select any number of colors and adjust where each one is in the blend curve using drag and drop
• New convert to black and white options.
– In Basic mode, user is given four previews to choose from.
– In Advanced mode, options include Standard TV conversion, select examples, hue adjustment, color channel adjustment and infrared film effect.
• New focus options UI (soften, sharpen, cleanup) make options less confusing and easier to use, while providing full control over the parameters to the user.
• Ruler lines can now be set at an exact position by the user – via a pop-up from the right-click menu of the ruler line.
• Font selector remembers recently used fonts and displays them at the top of the list.
• The editing workspace has a defined boundary that is drawn in the editor when the user zooms out far enough. The idea here is to keep the user from losing awareness of where things are when the editor is zoomed out and being scrolled, and from losing elements that were moved off the page (as elements cannot be moved off the edge of the workspace).
• Change page template dialog shows a preview of what the current page photos would look like on the selected page template. This allows the user to quickly try different options without having to take the time to actually apply the change to the current page.
• Performance enhancements have been made, making the High speed versus High quality display options unnecessary.
• View ribbon allows user to rotate the current view, which is useful for creating things like foldover greeting cards.
• Redo function allows user to redo operations that were previously undone using Undo.
• Elements added to a page are no longer automatically downsampled, meaning the user can downsize an image on the page and then size it back up to the original size without any loss of resolution.
• Reduce memory usage feature on the element property page allows a user experiencing memory problems to reduce the memory usage of an individual element or all elements on the page. When this is done, the software resamples the image (or images) to fit the current size on the page, often providing a significant reduction in memory usage.
• Photos panel has new option: Show photos on this page.
• Added 1/8” option to grid options.
• Moved default text style setting to user Options, making it more easily accessible.
• When user holds mouse cursor over a photo or content element in one of the panels, the software automatically shows an enlarged preview of that item.
• All three content panels (pages, photos, content) now have three thumbnail size selectors, making the user of the panels more consistent.
• Distinct views in Content Manager to make tasks easier. Includes separate views for organizing using tags, putting kits into categories and managing content locations.
• New tagging system makes it much easier to enter new tags or use existing tags to tag individual content items.
• New location management:
– Location management allows you to name and define all of the places the software will look for content.
– Default locations are supplied, but user can create any number of locations (e.g., on network drives, USB drives or even CD/DVD drives). The software will remember what is on each location even when it is disconnected.
• Searching for content to use in software (from content panel) always uses a single selector dialog that allows for an easy way to find content by location, category or tag, by kit or by individual element.
• Content selector allows user to select from list of recently used kits.
• User can add item to page directly from the content selector.
• Better management of kit activation codes. User can now see a list of all installed kits and their associated codes (if any) as well as a list of all codes and their associated kits (if any).
• New shape editor (uses the ribbon UI) makes it easy for users to create their own shapes, edge cutters and corner cutters.
• Content panel has two small controls that allow the user with a single click to increase or decrease the size of the content panel relative to the page size, making it easier to search for photos or digital art for use on the current page.
Minimum System Requirements
NOTE: In order to activate your software, purchase your projects, download content, upgrades and updates, you must have an Internet connection; a high-speed connection is recommended.
Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2
(32-bit edition), Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit editions), or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit editions)
Processor: 1.5 GHz (2 GHz or higher recommended), 32-bit
(x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
System Memory (RAM): 1 GB (2 GB recommended)
Monitor: 1024 x 768 resolution or greater with 32-bit color
Disk space: 2 GB free space on system drive for software
installation; as needed on system drive or other drive for storage of projects and content.
Other: Mouse or other pointing device; DVD drive.
Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration.
StoryBook Creator 4.0 software is price at 69.95$ and comes with 70$ in free digital products
See our Top Pick (SBC Top pick) price at 109.00$ and comes with 75$ in free digital products and a coupons of 39.95$ toward a Hardcover Storybook.